HEALTHY RECIPE CONTEST by themomsorchid:Mrs SARITA PATTANAIK with healthy CAT FISH IN TURMERIC WATER
Cat Fish in turmeric water
This simple fish curry made with pure mustard oil with fresh turmeric root and buttermilk / Fermented rice water.
This recipe is usually given to newly Mothers for quick recovering their blood loss and pain during delivery. Helpful for Kids and persons having digestion issues.
As mustard oil has huge medicinal properties. Therefore in ancient time, this recipe cooked with mustard oil only. Oil this recipe is able to maintain its authenticity, taste, and goodness to health.
Originally this recipe from Odisha. The Good feature of this recipe is the ingredient used is less & easily available in every home.
Traditionally this recipe is prepared with Catfish. Catfish Health Benefits Catfish's benefits come from its nutrients. This a good source of omega fatty acids. In particular, omega-3 fatty acids, like eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), are good for your brain, heart, immune system, and eyes.
All verity of Fish also goes good with this recipe.
While turmeric is a flavorsome spice that is nutritious to consume, it has also traditionally been used in Ayurvedic to treat inflammatory conditions, skin diseases, wounds, digestive ailments, and liver conditions.
Variation- We can put these local Vegetables like Brinjal, Radish, Cauliflower, Drumstick, Potato, Pumpkin, cluster Bean.
1. Fish 500 gm
2. 2 tsp salt
3. ½ tsp turmeric powder for marination of fish
4. 1 tsp turmeric root paste. (We can use powder if not available)
5. 250 ml buttermilk.
6. Rice water 1 cup ( Traditionally people use only Fermented rice Water & dry mango ).Here we use both.- This is optional.
7. 1 tsp panch Phutan(mustard seeds, cumin, Fenugreek, Nigella and Fennel mix together)
8. 4 no of the Green chilly split from the middle
9. 10-12 curry leaves
10. 2 tbs Gallic and 1 tbs Black paper finely crushed
11. One big onion finely chopped
12. 4 tbs Mustard oil for cooking
13. Coriander leaf 2 tbs for garnishing
14. Hing- I pinch
15. Urad dal Badi- 15-20
16. Cut vegetables as per ur choice.
17. Poppy seed paste 2 tbs.
1. Wash the whole fish thoroughly, remove the outer cells & clean nicely then cut into small pieces. Traditionally People don’t wash the fish after cutting. The blood of fish should not be washed.
Smear them with salt and turmeric powder. Leave for 10-15 minutes
.Take a wide Pan put oil and fry the fishes both sides as lightly possible for 2 minutes.
This should not be deep fry or crispy, overcook spoil the nutrition of fish.
2. Take the fish into a separate plate. Add little oil and put Panch Phutan, once it started spluttering and onion fry for 2 minutes.
3. Then add garlic & black paper minced, hing, green chili, curry leaves, keep sautéing till the garlic is brown. Add turmeric root paste and poppy seed and fry lightly.
4. Once done add buttermilk and Rice water and give it a good stir. Add salt to it. Let it comes to a boil and add the fish carefully. Add Fried Udard dal badi and cut and half-boiled vegetables to this and simmer for ten more minutes.
5. Stop cooking and put chopped coriander over and close the lid for 5 minutes.
6. Fish is ready to serve with rice.